Friday 25 October 2013

What do you go to work for?

The money?
The job satisfaction?
The social aspect?
The hours?
The challenge?


Just recently I've been having a work dilemma. I've been in my current role for 7 years now and I feel like I'm ready for a change. Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike my job, but I feel like I'm at the top of my game there and now I feel limited. Trapped almost.

The money is good, but I work ridiculous hours for it.

The job satisfaction is great. When I make a difference at work, I REALLY make a difference.
The social aspect however isn't as great. The people I work with are great, and I've certainly made some friends over the years, but many are older than me and have their own families/children to occupy them on days off.

The hours are crap. 24/7 shifts, 365 days a year. I've worked 6 out of the last 7 Christmas Days, and 5 New Years. I've missed birthdays, weddings and special events. But I knew what I was signing up for when I got the job, so what right do I have to complain?

The challenge... is complete. I've recently trained new staff to do my role and it really opened my eyes to how complex and how important the job actually is. The responsibility, the pressures, the harsh reality of the serious issues we cover. It really is a mentally and emotionally challenging role. I'm not trying to 'big it up' I'm just saying that after 7 years, I rarely feel challenged by it anymore. But nevertheless, I still enjoy it, and I still do it well.

So when is it the right time to move on?

Would you take a significant pay drop to do a job that would challenge you like no other? If the hours were still just as crap, it was coupled with risk, but the job satisfaction and career options were much greater?

Would you aim for the middle road and find a 'different' job that brought 'different' challenges, better hours, and only 'slightly' less pay?

Or do you play it safe? Stay were you know, where the money is, in your comfort zone?

Head vs Heart vs Purse Strings. Tough Battle.

What do YOU go to work for??


No comments:

Post a Comment